Verb + に先立って(1)
Noun + に先立って(1)
Noun (A) + に先立つ + Noun (B)
Despite these several interpretations, the literal meaning of 'standing before (A), (B)' can be useful to remember, as it highlights the importance of (B) as a first step.
As 先立つ is a verb, it may be seen in its dictionary from when followed directly by another noun, or in its て-form when indicating the whole (B) phrase as preceding (A). Additionally, the formal-conjunctive form, 先立ち will often be used in preference of the て-form, as に先立つ is a formal grammar structure.
- 新しい機械を導入するに先立って、色々な会社のサイトを見てスペックを比較します。Prior to installing a new machine, I will visit websites of various companies to compare the specs.
- 映画の公開に先立ち、予告編が公開された。Prior to the release of the movie, the trailer was released.
- 引越しに先立つ1日前に洗濯機や冷蔵庫の水抜きをしておかなければならない。Washing machines and refrigerators must be drained one day prior to moving.
- 海外へ移住したいけど、先立つものがない。I want to move abroad, but I don't have the means to do it.
- 新しい車を買いたいけど先立つものがない。I want a new car, but I don't have the means to buy one.
Certain game: 'You must gather your party before venturing forth.'
Please read the license agreement prior to running this application.
Prior to the emergence of light emitting diodes (LED), fluorescent lights were the most common energy-efficient light type.
Prior to the industrial revolution, unlike now, the majority of people worked on farms.
Before opening the computer case, as an extra precaution, you have to turn off the power.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
There are no Offline resources listed for 「に先立ち」.
You can . Resources are constantly updated, come back later to see new additions!
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
に先立ち – Grammar Discussion
There's currently no discussion for に先立ち
Ask questions and learn together with other Bunpro users!