(*) For negative, past and negative past forms, only conjugations of える are used
- もし出来得るならば、2年後に会社を立ち上げたいと思っている。If it's possible, I'm thinking of starting a company in two years.
- いくら気をつけていても、交通事故は起こり得るものだ。No matter how careful you are, it's possible for a car accident to occur.
- そういう事はセクハラにもなりえるので、そういう事はやらない方がいい。Things like that can be considered as sexual harassment, so you shouldn't do that.
- 考えうる事は、すべてこの企画書に書いておきました！I wrote everything I can think of on this proposal!
- うん、それもあり得るね...Yeah, that is also a possibility...
- 電気代がまた値上がりするみたいだよ。マジあり得ない。It looks like the electricity bill is going to go up again. There's no way.
Firefighters are people you can trust.
It is possible to consider that countermeasure.
People who own arable land can plant rice. (can be farmed)
That can be possible.
He possesses the force of will to be able to endure the piercing eyes of the crowd.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
Tae Kim's Japanese Grammar Guide
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
得る・得る – Grammar Discussion
Most Recent Replies (4 in total)
if a verb stem ends with え is it more likely to be うる or am I reading too much into the examples?
I think you are reading too much into it (though maybe don’t fully trust me since I’m making an informed guess). うる is the classical Japanese reading of 得る so it will be more rare to show up and likely has some set phrases where it appears.
It may have changed since you commented this but now the entry for 得る does mention:
Despite this, there is a tendency for うる to be the preferred spoken choice when the kana that appears before it is え
Got questions about 得る・得る? Join us to discuss, ask, and learn together!Join the Discussion