Verb + ことか
［い］Adjective + ことか
［な］Adjective + な + ことか
Noun + である + ことか
In sentences with ことか, words that highlight some particular number or extent are often used, before ことか comes at the end of the statement, expressing that 'extent' as being particularly unusual, or even unbelievable (thanks to the addition of か). This is often translated simply as 'how (A)', 'what (A)', or even 'god knows (A)'. Let's look at a few examples.
- あの人のコンサートには何回いったことか。God knows how many times I have gone to that person's concert.
- うちの犬はどんなに可愛いことか。こんなに可愛いワンチャンは他にはいないはず。How can I explain how cute my dog is? There is no other dog as cute as her.
- なんて暇なことか。こんなに暇なのは久しぶりだ。God knows how bored I am. It's been a long time since I've been this bored.
- 息子を一人で電車に乗せるのがどれだけ心配であることか。God knows how worried I am to let my kid on the train by himself.
- どれだけお前の事を愛していたことか！それでも俺はお前に裏切られた！God knows how much I loved you! Still, you betrayed me.
- 知らない人にありがとうと言われるのがどれだけ嬉しいことか。God knows how nice it feels to have a stranger thank you.
God knows how long I have waited for this!
Until now, god knows how many sites I have tried learning grammar on!
How convenient it is to have Bunpro!
How happy I was after meeting you!
When I was a child, there was a time we went to this coffee shop. God knows how delicious these donuts were!
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
Learn Japanese Daily
There are no Offline resources listed for 「ことか」.
You can . Resources are constantly updated, come back later to see new additions!
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
ことか – Grammar Discussion
Most Recent Replies (1 in total)
What does that mean? It’s also on the Bunpro page, but from a quick search, neither the information section nor the examples mention either of them at all.
Got questions about ことか? Join us to discuss, ask, and learn together!Join the Discussion