- 寝る前に食器を洗っておく。Before sleeping, I will wash the dishes in advance. (So that it does not need to be done later)
- あなたの財布を鞄に入れておきます。I am going to put your wallet in your bag. (So that you won't forget it later)
- 予約しておくね。I am going to make a reservation in advance. (So that the bookings don't fill up while we wait)
- 毎日歯を磨いておくと、虫歯が防ぎます。If you brush your teeth everyday, you will be able to prevent cavities. (That may or may not come in the future)
- 机の上に明日の旅行に必要なパスポートを置い とくね。I am going to leave the passport we need for the trip tomorrow on top of the table in advance. (So that I won't forget it later)
- 水筒に水を汲んどくね。I am going to fill this thermos up with water in advance. (So that it is available when I am thirsty)
I bought juice (in advance) for the party tomorrow.
Will you make tomorrow's bento (in advance) for me tonight?
I will do a little research in advance.
Before going on a trip I will go to the bathroom in advance.
Before returning to America, I will change my yen into dollars in advance.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
Genki II 1st Edition
Page 36 [CH 30]
Genki II 2nd Edition
[DBJG] A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar
Tae Kim's Japanese Grammar Guide
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
ておく – Grammar Discussion
Most Recent Replies (36 in total)
You can’t just remove the なくてはいけない part because いけない(行けない) has it’s own meaning , something which is not good or shouldn’t be done etc. いけない can also be used on it’s own as an exclamation or scolding someone. If you want to get rid of the double negative you’d need something like おぼえておいてはいける but that probably doesn’t have the same connotation.
You both have very cool names, almost as cool as my username.
Thank you for explaining that to me I wasn’t sure. I did think it’d just make the sentence directly incorrect but I wanted to check with people
Got questions about ておく? Join us to discuss, ask, and learn together!Join the Discussion