Noun + に限って
This structure is comprised of に, and the て-form of the う-Verb 限る 'to limit'. Let's look at a few examples of each potential meaning.
First, when something about (A) is unbelievable due to what is either expected or previously known.
- うちの子に限って、他の子に手を出すなんて考えられない。I can't imagine that my child, in particular, would hit another kid.
- 彼に限って、こんな簡単なことでミスをする訳が無い。There is no way that he, in particular, would make a mistake on something this simple.
- 武くんと釣りに行く日に限って、いつも雨が降るんだよな。Only on days when I go fishing with Takeshi-kun does it always rain.
- 先輩は忙しい日に限って、飲みに誘ってくる。My senpai invites me to go drinking with him only on days that I am busy.
- 「クレームを入れるぞ」って言う人に限ってクレームを入れないからあまり気にしていない。I'm not too worried because particularly those who say, 'I'm going to file a claim', never do (file a claim).
- 「絶対後でやる」って言う人に限って、いつまでもやらない人が多い。Many of those who say, 'I'll definitely do it later', never do.
Those who often speak about 'economizing' tend to waste their money on things like clothes they don't even wear whenever they receive salary.
It is only when I go out to investigate that it rains.
The weather becomes bad and such particularly when I board an airplane.
Despite it not being a set holiday, only on days when I go to that store is it temporarily closed.
Only on days when I forget my camera, do rainbows appear.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
There are no Offline resources listed for 「に限って」.
You can . Resources are constantly updated, come back later to see new additions!
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
に限って – Grammar Discussion
Most Recent Replies (2 in total)
The 日本語の森 video is not accessible, just noticing
Noticed this for another link as well, are they taking down their older videos?
Got questions about に限って? Join us to discuss, ask, and learn together!Join the Discussion