Noun + が(1) + なくはない
Although preceded mostly by verbs, this structure sometimes appears following nouns. When that is the case, が, は, or sometimes even に may be between なくはない and the noun. Additionally, the は in なくはない is interchangeable with も, with only a slight strengthening of the nuance when も is used.
- 別に出来なくはないけど、めんどくさいから業者に頼むわ。It's not that I can't do it, but since it is too much of a hassle, I'm going to hire someone to do it.
- それを買うお金がなくはないが、そんなくだらないことにお金を使いたくない。It's not that I don't have money to buy that, but that I don't want to spend my money on something so stupid.
- 時間はなくはないんですが、もっと時間を有効に使いたいだけです。It's not that I don't have time, but that I just want to make better use of my time.
- テレビは家になくはないけど、アンテナがつながっていないからモニターとして使ってる。It's not that I don't have a TV at home, but since the antenna is not connected, I am using it as a monitor.
- 納豆は食べれなくはないけど、どうせ食べるならもっと美味しいものを食べたいかな。It's not that I don't like natto, it's just that if I am going to eat something, I want to eat something more delicious.
- その距離だったら、頑張れば走れなくはない。If it was that distance, it would be hard work, but I may be able to run that.
It's not that I can't focus, it is just easier to daydream.
If I save, I may be able to buy it. (Literally - I won't not be able to buy it)
After considering that opinion, I can somewhat agree. (Literally - I can't not agree)
There was a considerable amount of trial and error to get to here, but that's not to say I can't plan more.
It looks difficult, but that's not to say you can't put it together yourself.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
There are no Offline resources listed for 「なくはない」.
You can . Resources are constantly updated, come back later to see new additions!
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
なくはない – Grammar Discussion
Most Recent Replies (2 in total)
So is this just a casual contraction of ないことはない?
ないことはない | Japanese Grammar SRS
…and also, for some reason, a slightly different conjugation with a Noun?
Hey @FredKore !
なくはない is not a casual contraction of ないことかない, as it has a slight difference in the nuance. なくはない has a nuance of ‘I have a feeling that it is possible (gut feeling). However, coming to that conclusion is difficult’. ないことはない has the nuance of ‘I know that it is possible. However, getting that result is not going to be easy’. This one is used to let the listener know that you can do something, but some effort will have to go into it.
It’s not that I can’t focus, it is just easier to daydream. (I have a gut feeling that I would be able to focus if I really tried, but it is easier to daydream, so I will daydream)
Got questions about なくはない? Join us to discuss, ask, and learn together!Join the Discussion