Verb(1) + どころか
［い］Adjective + どころか
［な］Adjective + な + どころか
Noun + どころか
どころか may be translated as 'far from', 'let alone' or 'anything but'. It strongly negates any statement before it, while also emphasizing what comes after it.
どころか may be paired with the attributive form of any other word. However, this is not a strict rule, as it can also be seen with the 語幹 stem form of な-Adjectives, and directly attached to nouns.
- このカレーは甘いどころか、辛かった。Far from being sweet, this curry was spicy.
- 北海道は寒いどころか、暑かった。Far from being cold, Hokkaido was hot.
- 昨日の仕事は楽などころか、めちゃくちゃ大変だったよ。Far from being easy, work yesterday was hectic.
- 彼女は酎ハイどころかビールも飲まない。Let alone Chuhai, she doesn't even drink beer.
- そんなにゆっくりしているどころか。This is not the time to be even remotely that relaxed!
- 俺がやるどころか？そんなことをやるのは弟しかいないだろ！Do you honestly think I would do such a thing? My brother is the only person who would do that.
Far from taking a break, he gave everything he had.
Far from being sweet, that cake was sour.
Far from going to Europe, he hasn't even taken a step outside.
Eating in excess even if it's healthy food is not good for you. Far from that, it will make you ill!
Despite studying so much, far from getting better, my grades got worse.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
Tae Kim's Japanese Grammar Guide
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
どころか – Grammar Discussion
There's currently no discussion for どころか
Ask questions and learn together with other Bunpro users!