The literal meaning of 抜く can be thought of as being quite close to the English expression 'to pull through', for example, 'despite difficulties, I pulled through in the end'. Let's look at a few examples of where 抜く will be used.
- 私の計画は彼に見抜かれていた。He saw through my plans.
- 自分の子供達を守り抜くためならなんでもできる。I could do anything to protect my kids till the end.
- 私は何があっても最後までやり抜かないと気が済まないです。I can't have peace of mind until I finish something completely, no matter what happens.
- 考え抜いた結果、俺は大学を中退して親父の会社を継ぐことにした。After thoroughly thinking about it, I decided to drop out of college and take over my father's company.
- 田中師匠は俳句の事なら知り抜いている。Master Tanaka is all-knowing when it comes to haiku.
- この洗濯機ではこの量の洗濯物は洗いぬけない。This washing machine cannot completely wash this amount of laundry. (Unnatural Japanese)
- この洗濯機ではこの量の洗濯物は洗い切れない。This washing machine cannot completely wash this amount of laundry. (Natural Japanese)
The team, despite knowing it was impossible to advance to the semifinals even if they won, fought to the bitter end.
Because the hero saw through the plan of the devil king, he decided to put a stop to it.
The research took years, but he overcame adversities and proved his hypothesis.
Walter-san is all-knowing when it comes to chemistry.
Even if I have to sit up all night, I want to complete this project.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
There are no Offline resources listed for 「抜く」.
You can . Resources are constantly updated, come back later to see new additions!
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
抜く – Grammar Discussion
Most Recent Replies (3 in total)
why is it conjugated as 抜き in this example?
There’s a grammar point for that.
Before I file a bug/type or suggestion to the Bunpro staff, I wanted to ask the question to the general public. After talking with my [Japanese] wife, I have an issue with this sentence:
The grammar point 抜くis being presented as “All~, Completely, See through, Overcome, To the bitter end” on the grammar description page. Yet this sentence uses 抜く as a basic verb, 釘を抜く, or “To extract a nail.”
The other examples demonstrate the modification of other verbs, taking their meanings “To the max” or “To completion” per...
Got questions about 抜く? Join us to discuss, ask, and learn together!Join the Discussion