Verb + もの(1) + だ(2)
［い］Adjective + もの(1) + だ(2)
［な］Adjective + な + もの(1) + だ(2)
To use ものだ, attach it to the end of the attributive form of any word/word that ends a phrase that you would like to highlight as being an obvious piece of information.
- 仕事は一生懸命するものだ。Work is something you should put all your effort into.
- ユウキが自分からプランを立てるのは珍しいものだ。It is rare for Yuki to plan something out on his own.
- こどもは元気なものだ。Kids should be energetic. (Man, kids are energetic)
- 人生はそんなに簡単な物ではない。Life is not something that is easy.
- 家族は捨てるものじゃない。Family is not something you should throw away.
- 東大に入れたのか？大したもんだ。You were able to get into Tokyo University? That is impressive.
- ゴミを道に捨てるもんじゃない！You should not throw garbage on the street!
Cake is supposed to be sweet.
Work is something you should do proactively.
Parents are supposed to be kind.
You shouldn't waste food!
Life is tough. That is just what life is.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
There are no Offline resources listed for 「ものだ」.
You can . Resources are constantly updated, come back later to see new additions!
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
ものだ – Grammar Discussion
Most Recent Replies (5 in total)
Ah, so that’s what it was!
I was really worrying that I cannot get the variety of meanings of this point
Thank you for looking into it
WHat is the difference between this and はずだ
Got questions about ものだ? Join us to discuss, ask, and learn together!Join the Discussion